I said .txt, but I don't feel as strongly about this as I would have done a year or so ago.

I usually download files and import them into Word, then reformat them into a font that I feel more comfortable reading off the screen. (I gave up printing out fic a long time ago, but I used to reformat everything before printing, too.) I don't find the editing process difficult, and have become quite adept at using the search and replace functions.

I do read fanfiction elsewhere in .html, but, again, quite often cut and paste into Word and reformat. This is certainly easier now than it used to be with earlier versions of the programme.

I do like .txt, though, because I find it easy to guess the length of the story from the file size. I suppose I would get used to .html file sizes, but... (Personally, I prefer to think in word counts, rather than kilobytes, and I still struggle to relate the two.)

One thing that the archive has going for it is that you can download stories in their entirety, rather than having to download individual sections or chapters, as is the case elsewhere. If keeping the file sizes smaller, and in .txt, means that this can continue to happen, then please do so. smile Also, the less fussy format means that pages are quicker to load.

I am, I suspect, in the minority these days in that I still use a dial-up connection, so speed is a major factor. Broadband only arrived in my neck of the woods relatively recently, and I know that there are still places where it isn't an option. (I hope to upgrade soon. People keep telling me that it will change my life.)

This isn't really relevant to the question, but... I feel marginalised enough by the lack of technological options available to me, although this is a trade off I agreed to make when I chose to make my home somewhere that is officially classified as 'very remote rural'.

I can't access the L&C music videos or trailers, for example. And, away from the internet, I'm getting sick of television going to town with plugging free digital services. At the moment, I am subjected to endless adverts reminding me of all the additional channels I could get if only I switched to digital. But. I. Can't. Receive. Digital. Channels. Where. I. Live. Not without getting satellite, anyway. Nor can I get digital radio here. Actually, I can't get all the analogue radio or television channels, either, and my mobile phone reception is patchy, at best.)

I guess what I'm saying here is this: some of us aren't able to run full pelt into the 21st Century. If any upgrading is going to leave us behind, do it thoughtfully and gently, please.

Thank you. smile

Chris