but one of my own personal pet hates when prowling on the net for fic is finding an author's personal website and it being in the most ridiculous colour scheme so it's hard to read.
I'm with you. The worst one I've ever seen is purple on black. Now who the heck is supposed to be able to read that?

And as for the palm pilot, some HTML pages will save as TXT, but sometimes the formatting is so off that it's a lost cause.

The txt format is hard to print.
Yes, this can be true, but I wonder if some of it's because of the way the person is saving it. It seems I've seen different TXT files that have a completely different look to them as far as spacing 'on the sides' is concerned. I think it has got to do with whether or not word wrap is being used, but I'm not sure.

Well, see now guys, what you need to do instead of printing out those fics is get a palm pilot or similar. You can take it with you. You can charge it in the car. There are even portable chargers. Some of them are fairly inexpensive now. You pick one up at full price for about $99 US dollars. Sound expensive? Think about it. Almost all of us have a printer, but when you are printing out 100's of pages, that eats up your ink and your paper. And considering the cost of ink, that can add up pretty fast. The one I've got cost about $450, but that's been a while and the prices have come way down. But I can tell you that's the about the best $450 I ever spent. It's been well worth it. I believe you can get readers for really cheap, but if you want to make any notes while you are reading, I'm not sure you could with a reader.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~