I chose to use a nick when I joined FoLCdom (which was more or less my first online forum), for a number of reasons, but none of them were because of writing fanfic, that I recall.

Mostly it was because I came from an offline culture where nicks were used for fun, so I was already used to thinking that way, and because of personal security concerns (the less the world out there in the net knows about you the better, I believe).

If none of those other reasons existed and I was using my own name it wouldn't bother me at all if people linked back to my fanfic. Or nfic. Although if I started being bombarded with emails from weirdos as a result of the latter I might have to reconsider. <g>

It clearly does worry a lot of people though. The Archive quite regularly gets requests from writers who've long left the fandom to have their stories removed, or their names changed to an anonymous nick, precisely because they fear this.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers