Capes said:
Wow--if this post did nothing else, it proved to me that I'm definitely an oddball FoLC in the reading category. A large share of responders seem to be SF/Fantasy fans. Not to mention those I know of who didn't post but are avid romance readers.
If you are an oddball folc, then so am I. I will occasionally read science fiction and romance... but only occasionally. I have a problem with romances because so many follow a tried and trusted formula. If I read more than about two or three at once, I get bored. I think it's a couple of years since I last read one!

I have read some wonderful and clever science fiction stories in my time, mostly because they have been recommended to me by friends (or book sellers!). If someone recommends a story, I might give it a go, but I don't go out of my way to find SF books.

I had a look at the link Capes posted to the Top 10 books, and a feel woefully ignorant now because I haven't read any of them!

In fact, I find reading a huge amount quite a struggle these days, mostly because I have to read so much for my job. Too many words at work make me unable to face too many words at home, I think, even if the words are completely different in nature.

So... this year I have read four novels so far. (I've just started on my fifth.) If anyone is interested, they are:

Reginald Hill's The Stranger House
Steve Bochco's Death By Hollywood
Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom
Bernard Cornwell's The Pale Horseman.

The first was a gift, the second a recommendation (which made me laugh, and I read in a single evening), the third a find in a charity shop and the fourth the sequel to the third, which I just had to read. (I'm now reading the third in that series.)

Oh, and I have a load of books scattered around, waiting to be read. Very eclectic the collection is too: more gifts and more charity shop finds (including a few Scottish authors I feel I should investigate)...

Krissie <who wonders how Sammy finds the time for all that reading!>