Weeeeeell, now that you mentioned it, I definitely read more than 50 books a year. I hasten to add that this reading is often other imposed. More than I'd care to admit, I have to valiantly stave off sleep or nausea while reading--which really sucks the joy out of the endeavour. But, the latest few I've read that I actually enjoyed are:

The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
La femme gelee by Annie Ernaux
Delirio by Laura Restrepo

I'm guessing those last two are translated to The Frozen Woman and Delirium respectively. Always assuming they actually exist in translation of course. And assuming the translations are any good.

But my favourites of all time remain the super famous Anna Karenina and rarely mentioned La placa del diamant. Apparently I'm not alone in my love of Tolstoy as this link to a Time article from earlier this year can attest to:
The 10 Greatest Books of All Time

I agree wholeheartedly with the questioning of some of the supposed favourites of favourite authors, but it's an interesting lineup to see.

PS:

DSDragon wrote:
And while I'm still here, I might as well say that I put up a review of Anna Karenina in my library at LibraryThing. It's more of a rant than a review, but it's all I could think of to say about the book itself.
Read your review. Because I'm a collector of random information and thought you might be too, she's never referred to as Anna Oblonsky because she's married. And she's not referred to as Anna Karenin because in Russian, the last names are always reflective of the person's gender. Therefore, Karenina. smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->