My recommendations:

Anything by Orson Scott Card that you can possibly get your hands on--he's my favorite author. He writes mostly fantasy/sci-fi, but he's also written bible/scripture/religion-based fiction.

Anything by Anne McCaffrey, especially the Dragonriders of Pern series. There are two orders in which you can read that series: 1) in chronological story order, starting with Dragonsdawn, or 2) in publication order, starting with Dragonflight.

I also like the Song of Ice and Fire cycle by George R. R. Martin and the King's Blades series by Dave Duncan.

The DragonLance series is also good, provided you don't get into the Fifth Age.

And since I just finished reading it, I might as well recommend Anna Karenina.

Also, Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip is good too.

Ah, what the hey, just look at my library . Any of the books/authors there that I haven't already mentioned which have either reviews, ratings, or both listed in my catalogue, are the ones I like the best.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place