I would guess that the differences in the various forms of English are not intentional (as in, US choosing to be a certain way) but more a result of the different cultures that blend together and add their different bits and pieces. Perhaps like Lab said, it was a matter of simplifying some things to make them easier to say or spell. What does that "u" add to words like colour or flavour and why if they are spelled with the "u" aren't they pronounced like flour? And woudn't theatre be pronounced "the-a-truh" while theater is pronounced "the-a-ter".

Add to things geographical distance and it makes sense that the languages retain differences. I mean, it seems to me that in European nations, the UK English way is taught as the proper form of English. But I'm guessing in Mexico, the US English way is what is taught. I don't know this - I'm just supposing.

Yvonne - the adjustments to the Harry Potter books are very, very minor. And unless you have some familiarity with UK English, you wouldn't even notice the difference. It's not like the entire flavor of the books has changed. Things like "the" have been added in places, but that's really the only thing I noticed flat out.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah