This is interesting:
Now that my attention's been drawn to it, I'm curious to know if this is a UK-wide habit, let alone something you use in the US. Or just another regional UK variation.
We would never say a simple "Is it you." because the done wouldn't be understood. Like the others said, it would be "So are you done yet?" or else "When you're done, stop by and get a quart of milk." The "stopping by" is understood to be the local grocery store.
I've mentioned before that I subscribe to Majesty magazine and that many US citizens have a particular fascination with royalty. One thing I notice constantly is the use of the word "scheme."
Such as in "the Prince's Scheme for Childhood Abuse." What this means is the Prince has a charity that raises and donates money to institutions that prevent and treat child abuse. In American English, "scheme" has a negative connotation. Criminals scheme, usually not to the victims benefit. So it sounds really odd to an American ear. What the phrase really sounds like is that the prince is planning to abuse children. Which obviously isn't true, or at least they wouldn't print it!
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis