This is 100% meant to demonstrate my interest - no intention to start a right versus wrong debate. wink

I've been re-reading my Harry Potter books in preparation of this Friday's release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (/me does a little happy dance) and I've noticed some more differences between UK and US English.

Specifically, I've noticed that US English tends to assign the definite article "the" to specific references of time whereas UK English does not. So you'd see:

UK way: Clark knew in future he would make sure no one could see him before he spun into the suit.

US way: Clark knew in the future he would make sure no one could see him before he spun into the suit.

AND

UK way: Lois awoke next morning wondering if she had dreamed that Clark had shown up at her apartment with a red cape sticking out of the back of his jacket.

US way: Lois awoke the next morning wondering if she had dreamed that Clark had shown up at her apartment with a red cape sticking out of the back of his jacket.

Another thing I've noticed is the UK teasing form of "ickle". As in:

Lois sneered at Clark. "What, is the ickle farm boy afraid of the big bad taxi cab?"

I'd always thought ickle was a different spelling/pronunciation of 'ittle which would be baby-talk for little but apparently it's not. So, UK folks, what does ickle mean?

There were some other things I noticed but of course are eluding me now. I'll come back with more when I remember them.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah