Well I think the comparsion is quite pertinent to the question of values because I imagine that for most people (those that actually might have a life laugh ) classical superman and LCTNAOS superman are kind of blurred.

For me Superman’s decency and empathy is crucial to his character. I didn’t say goodness, because what is good? Would it be evil for a Kryptonian to exploit humanity the same way we are exploiting “inferior” species? I would rather see it as biologically determined.

In the LC variant I see Superman’s “goodness” like this; he is desperate to care for his surrogate world so that he won’t have to face the existential vacuum of being one of a kind with godlike powers. This is why he is so morally rigid, he is the only one who can put limits on himself. The slippery slope could quickly make him lose his artificial humanity which is his greatest fear.
And this is why Superman-Clark comes across more human then humanity itself. Why he chose to hold a ordinary job, Why he so hesitant to use his powers and influence for his own sake.(There is a million ways he could get rid of Luthor or Scardino). Why he gorge himself on his family and friends, people treating him as if he was one of them, and ultimately why Lois becomes so important to him.

To me this dichotomy is what Superman is about and what makes the concept tick; There is always the question of the right way or the easy way, because it’s practically never a question of Superman inability to solve the problem.

I have very little understanding for the classical character. This Superman is in full command and comfortable with his Kryptonian heritage and vastly more intelligent then humans, His goodness seems cosmetic there is absolutely no reason for him observe human laws other then this being some unfathomable Kryptonian prime directive.
And he strikes me as aloof, two-dimensional and indulging himself. He turns back time for this woman he fancies, (but not for thousands of people dying in a earthquake), or the amnesia kiss or the deadbeat dad stuff from SR.

So what do this mean for fanfic? To me, that those fics that doesn’t take Clark values into account have some problems with consistency. Like If he would do THIS why isn’t he doing THAT?
And why fic:s that test his breaking points are so interesting, what is he ready to do for those he loves? I thought the show handled it very well. Before they were together Clark could treat attempt on Lois life with a certain even-handedness, but in the latter seasons were they are couple, he grows more and more reluctant to put man’s law and his scruples over his feelings for her. Because his fear of losing her, becomes greater then that of losing himself.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...