Part two - FDK - wave

And then the full truth sank in and Lois wasn't sure whether to laugh or to cry. Linda had no idea who Superman really was! No one did. It was entirely possible that she was the only person in the world who had figured it out.
Cry with happiness or cry with sadness for Clark?

If the lipstick hadn't already given him away, his response to that question might have. The calm expression that Superman usually wore disappeared in an instant. His eyebrow shot up and his mouth opened and closed a couple of times as he searched for an answer.
Ooooh. She stumped Superman.

Did he realize that this was the first time Superman had ever answered a question with unsolicited personal information? Suddenly there was a strange and exciting kind of electricity in the air between them.
That's right, he did, didn't he? Naughty Clark, full of slip-ups tonight. Electricity? That sounds good. laugh

"If Superman could have a girlfriend, it would be you."
You know, if she didn't know CK=Superman, he's just shot Clark in the back, right?

And if Superman was Clark's secret then… "Maybe I could be your secret girlfriend?"

Clark moved closer and whispered, "Maybe you already are."
Okay, Clark, you do realize that you think that she thinks of you as just a friend? How does that make her your 'secret girlfriend'? Unless you mean, in that secret fantasy dream world in which you live where Lois loves you? You know: Metropolis.

He didn't know! He had no idea that she knew. Clark had just crossed a major line and he had no clue that she was on to him. You're mine, Clark Kent, she thought. You just don't know it yet.
Oh, dear. Lois' secret fantasies have all come true. She's got Superman just where she wants him. On the bottom! Sorry, Clark, it was nice knowing you. I hope her torture is worth it at the end.

He still hadn't moved. Lois smiled at him as she realized she already knew the answer. He wouldn't be here tonight if he didn't. He could have gone back to the party, or home, or anywhere he wanted. Instead, he had stayed somewhere nearby.
I love her figuring it all out before he even speaks! So true for her character. clap

"You know, if this were a movie, we'd make love tonight. One perfect, never-to-be-repeated night."
See, torture.

He nodded, his fingers tightened slightly on her waist. "That's all that's been holding me back for almost two years now."
"You know, Superman, it's funny when you phrase it like that.... but I was just thinking the other day how Clark and I have known each other for two years as well."

"Lipstick?" His eyes closed, his shoulders slumped, and his hands dropped from her waist. "I'm sorry," he whispered.
mecry Pooor Clark. He thinks he's going to disappoint Lois. My heart breaks for him. He thinks that she's going to go to bed with Superman and wake up with Clark and be disappointed because neither of him was perfect. [Linked Image]

Okay, Lois, time to reassure him:
"I've never thought perfection was much fun." Lois giggled and shook her head. "And besides, it's only perfect in the movies."
[Linked Image] Okay, not very reassuring, so either Lois doesn't think she'll be perfect tonight either, or she's still torturing Clark, or she doesn't realize that she just kicked that pooor v.... very patient man in the crotch, which won't give either one of them a perfect evening -- self-fulfilling destiny. [Linked Image] Maybe she should wash his face first, that way neither of them will be reminded of Linda during the rest of the evening and that will make it perfect. laugh

Okay, back to re-read The Whole Truth. I see a vicious circle developing here... wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.