Then his heart stuttered and his eyes went wide. He should stand up. He should call out to her. He should stop her.
Oh, but you don't want to stop her, Clark. Because we all know what she is going to find sitting somewhere close to that award.

She thought of everything else he had told her. That things were complicated between them. That he was afraid she would never understand. That the truth would hurt her. That he wanted her to notice him for who he was and not for Superman.
I am so glad she remembered all of this.

"You should tell her," she finally whispered. "Just take a chance and tell her the truth."

He took a deep breath, his heartbeat pounding in his ears. "Lois, it's me. Kal-El."
Full circle. Perfection.

In the end, it was the need to prove him wrong that stopped her.
This is so true to Lois' character.

Clark hesitated. "No." That wasn't true, he couldn't lie to her anymore. "Yes." Then, quickly, he amended it to, "Sometimes."
Poor guy!

The thought struck her that maybe he had purposefully left the rose where she could find it.
Didja Clark, didja?

"You don't have to hold onto me," he said with a shy smile, "but I wish you would."
ohhh!!!

It was too much and yet, somehow, it wasn't nearly enough.
Shades of Faustian Bargain. smile

Lovely, Sue!

But if you're Ann (or just share her sentiments), this story will continue in the nfic folder in a day or two.
I do share Ann's sentiments, at least when it comes to wonderfully well done nfic sequels to great stories. So - YEA!

lisa in the sky with diamonds