Just coming back to add, mainly for the North Americans, that bathrooms in the UK (and, I think, Europe more generally) are usually considerably smaller than on this side of the Atlantic. Really good-quality corner Jacuzzi baths, for example, simply would never fit in most British bathrooms. The bathroom in the first house I owned, for example, was actually fairly large, but it was only six feet by about five. Enough space for a bath with shower over, sink, toilet, towel-rail and small wall-cabinet. The guest bathroom in the basement of our new house, even without a bath but with walk-in shower cubicle and storage closet, is almost three times the size.

The other point is that, in older houses, you will usually find there is only one bathroom; en-suites and downstairs toilets are a relatively recent addition to houses in the UK/Ireland. Even my parents' house, which is about 35 years old, has a single bathroom upstairs, and it's a medium-sized house by Dublin standards.

So, given Yvonne's house, two bathrooms isn't an option, nor is the kind of redesign some of you are suggesting.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*