I'm more in the closet than out - the only person who really knows about my LnC obsession is my husband, who, oddly enough, is probably the one person in the world who finds it really weird! He can't understand obsessions of any kind - especially one based on a television show that ended so many years ago. Since I tend to go into anything that so holds my interest at about 110%, I often feel guilty, like a drug addict sneaking a fix in a dark alley, hoping I won't get caught, because I spend all my spare time writing and reading and chatting.

I've not really told anyone that I write fanfic and have only shown my mom a couple of my stories. Mostly, I keep this "hobby" to myself because I'm afraid people won't take me seriously. Since fanfic brings little to the writer other than personal satisfaction (i.e., no cash or mainstream accolades), I think people tend to see it as very frivolous, and I hate the feeling of having to defend myself for indulging in an activity that I really enjoy. Somehow, saying that you stayed up until 2 am to write a fanfic sounds a lot crazier than staying up until 2 am to finish your great American novel <g>.

As a matter of fact, recently, I asked my brother for some legal advice for Rage, and I told him it was for a story exercise for my writing class rather than for a fanfic. Of course, when he wanted to read the finished story, I had to confess!

Also, like others have mentioned, the whole notion of meeting people and making friends through the internet holds a certain unreal quality. Kind of like - "don't you have any real, breathing, living friends that you need to find them on-line?" Ever since I stopped working and am home alone with two small kids, it seems even more isolating, I think, to admit to such an addiction because the image of the lonely stay-at-home mother is perpetuated.

What I didn't know until I discovered this fandom is that such internet relationships have a whole other benefit because you get to meet people who you would never get to know due to geography. And also, these friendships offer as much and sometimes more than ones with real, living 3D people standing in front of you. There is a certain level of unconditional acceptance and shared passion that really creates a strong bond.

I don't know if I would ever come completely out of the closet unless it was to other fans. I can't imagine stating to all of the other moms at the next Daisy troop meeting or playdate that I have to rush home to check the boards for feedback on my latest post <G>. I'm just too afraid that they would all look at me like I'd sprouted a third eye in the middle of my forehead.

But if anyone in my "real life" wanted to discover my secret, they can use my real name on Google to see if it would pop up a story or two!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah