Interesting, Roger. I don't have time to check out those YouTube videos now, because I have to rush off to work in about five minutes, but I checked out that bill that McCain co-sponsered. I certainly agree with the concerns he voiced there.

I noted that in the article about Barney Frank that you posted a link to, Frank was reported to say this:

He said that blame is misplaced, because those loans are issued by regulated institutions, while far more foreclosures were triggered by high-cost loans made by unregulated entities.
Is there any truth to that claim? Maybe I should ask Alcyone, who, I must say, is going to extremely great pains to listen to both sides and be as unbiased as possible. No one else here comes close to her approach. So how about it, Alcyone? Is there any truth in what Barney Frank said in that article?

Me, I'm wondering why Democrats would wield the filibuster weapon just to defeat a bill that might hurt poor people and black people. Let me put it like this. In the United States, between 50 and 60% of those eligible to take part in national elections like the upcoming one actually vote. That is a really low figure compared with many other Western democracies. Among those who rarely vote in America are the poor and the black. So how much would Democrats really gain from hauling out the filibuster weapon to defeat a bill that would only harm the interests of people who are not likely to vote anyway?

I can't help thinking that the Democrats must have had a better reason to fight so hard to defeat McCain's bill. And if they did fight so hard, they must have said something about it. Roger, you said,

The bill passed the House but failed to reach the floor of the Senate with Majority Leader Bill Frist knowing the bill would be filibustered.
Bill Frist, the Majority Leader of the Senate and a Republican, knew that the bill would be filibustered? How did he know? What had the Democrats said?

How about it? Is there anyone here who isn't dead set against the Democrats from the beginning who can explain that to me?

Ann