Sorry, got behind in this thread.

Michael wrote:

Does this mean we’re going to be the first fandom with almost pro-fic like publishing system, now complete with pretty typesetting?
That'd be cool! It'd take time -- and lots of procedural changes. LabRat and her General Editors would need to be heavily involved.

First off, I’m pleasantly surprised that Word’s classic doc-format is supported by more than Open Office. I figured we would need to use RTF instead to make the Archive-upload open to anybody.
AbiWord and Google Docs do an impressive job of reading Word files. Do they support Word's change tracking? Not a clue. Google Docs has its own version of it though.

As for the different versions of Word, when you select the doc-format, it doesn’t matter whether you’re using Word 2003, 2007, or 2010.
I didn't know that. At work we use 2003, and that's the latest I've used.

But there’s the matter of the typographic characters such as slanted quotes ... Whether it’s the authors doing this or our dedicated GEs, once we switch to uploading the stories in a richer format, I believe we should standardize those conversions.
Excellent point. Not sure how we'd implement, but we'd certainly want to be consistent.

Artemis wrote:

When I submitted to the Archive in txt, my GE and I communicated changes in Word 2003. txt is just too hard to read and correct. Then she converted the changes back to txt for the Archive. Eliminating all that would be easier for Word users.
Interesting. I'd love to poll the General Editors to find out what word processors they use to work with authors -- and what they'd be willing to use. And for that matter, what authors currently use and would be willing to use.

How important is change tracking? Does everyone use it?

Dcarson wrote re the wiki conf directory:

file will let you open the file in Stanza directly on a mobile device like my iPod Touch. I can currently get to the epubs but what I get is the raw file shown in a Stanza browser window.
I'll give that a try (hope it won't keep the Firefox epubreader plug-in from working). Left-clicking the epub filename in Firefox was bringing up the raw file for me too until I installed the epubreader plug-in Doranwen recommended. Right-clicking worked to download it though. Internet Explorer, however, brings up the download dialog box with no problems.

I'm using Stanza on the iPod Touch too. Are you getting the raw file problem there? How are you pulling down the epubs? These are the steps that work for me:

* In iPod/iPhone Stanza, tap Get Books at the bottom of the library screen.
* Tap the + plus sign at the top of the Get Books screen. (If you've recently downloaded something, you may need to tap "Edit" first.)
* In the input field where it asks for "Valid ePub/eReader URL," finger-type this: lcfanfic.com/epub/cause.epub -- or any "filename.epub" (To find out the story's filename, hover over its epub link in your computer's web browser.)
* Tap the blue Download button in the upper-right corner to bring the story into your library.

That's a lot to go through. I don't know if there's a way to do it by tapping on the link from Safari, but will give the mime thing a go.

Best wishes,

Lauren