Okay, let me try once more and see if I can manage not to appear to be trying to create problems.

I do almost all of my reading on my iPhone using Stanza. To facilitate this, over the past few years I have converted almost 200 LnC stories to epub format.

When this discussion got started, I thought it would be a chance to share the work I've done. Unfortunately, when I started considering the idea of posting the epub versions of the stories I've converted, I quickly realized that the formatting I had used was too crude to offer to anyone else. I respect the authors and I feel it is being disrespectful to share a version of their work where the format is less than the best I can make it.

So, with a LOT of help from Doranwen and Lauren I've been converting stories. Using Doranwen's approach produces a *very* good looking work.

As far as segmenting goes, it shouldn't be a problem but it is. Anyone that has loaded a large story into Stanza will understand. I have been segmenting all the stories I've converted for a long time.

Believe me when I say that it is easier not to segment. If I skip the segmenting step I can convert almost any sized story in between 5 and 10 minutes. Adding segments will often double that time. Segmenting takes a lot of work. However, it's necessary to have an end-product that is clean enough to honor the authors whose work we so enjoy.

My point earlier is that the segmenting process is not changing the story. When you print a story on paper (which I have also done) you are artificially introducing segments -- pages -- that have nothing to do with what the author intended. To me, the segmenting that we are talking about is nothing more than making sure that when the e-reader handles the story, it neither chokes nor puts a section-break in a place that disrupts the story.

Back in hiding now...
Bob