Most of ya'll know that I'm a creative writing major. I've got to tell you; the first writing class I took gave me a great appreciation of proper grammar. Every day we were required to have two stories from different students read and critiqued. I spent more time correcting their grammar than actually reading what passed for stories.

The grammar was cringe-worthy; if there *could* be a mistake, there was. Needless to say, many students weren't happy with me. laugh They didn't appreciate getting back stories that had been red-marked with grammatical corrections. Well, my professor *did* say to correct the stories! wink

My grammar isn't perfect, but I was raised speaking English properly, and foreign language training helped me understand grammar better.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying