“Yeah, I got that, but… why are you friends?”
There is a reason why Phil gets described as awkward. His questions come off wrong.

“There was someone else. Cat helped pave the way for me.”
frown that he uses the past tense with Lois.

“Nobody’s perfect,” Clark corrected. “Take those blinders off now and you’ll be happier in the long run.”
Clark has a really good point.

Cat shook her head. “Don’t worry, Phil. This is another one of those times when Clark totally misunderstood what’s going on and probably stuck his foot in his mouth.”
On reading this again I realized that Cat did not say or even imply there was not really a breakup.

“Um… no, not that recently,
wallbash this is the worst thing Cat could have possibly said.

but she was quite adamant that if you should ever get the wrong idea, I was to set you straight,” Cat retorted. “There were all these awful metaphors about condoms and protection and…”
Cat could not possibly be making things worse.

“I proposed. She turned me down flat. Where’s there to misunderstand?” Clark inquired.
She didn't say never, just not today.

“Stop thinking that the world revolves around the glory that is you, Clark,” Cat scoffed.
But saving Clark is Lois's main goal. Without the Kryptonite issue, she might well have given up. More clearly without the Kryptonite issues she would have brought Clark in much sooner.

“The difference between Lois and me is that Lois hates marriage with a passion and everything having to do with it.
Now the trick is getting Clark to really believe this.

Correction: she fears marriage, almost as much as she fears being in a relationship,” Cat said. “I, on the other hand, hadn’t found anyone worthy of lifetime of my love, until I met Phil.”
So why was Cat engaged before?

John Pack Lambert