I think it might be even easier to slip up if he knew about every single story she had ever written. Even canon Clark didn't know who Kyle Griffin was and we all know how much HE loved Lois by the beginning of S2.
I blame that on wanting to explain it to the audience. I prefer to think that Clark followed Lois's work before he met her, and decided to work at the "Daily Planet" so he could work with the great Lois Lane. Only realizing he was also in love with her when he met her.

How about: Possibly he had just wanted to end their partnership and have Lois’s friendship with Clark remain split up. ?? Does that sound better?
Yes, that sounds better.

Unless cloning is common (which it isn't), it really isn't a go-to answer. Even after dealing Vatman, they don't assume Lois's double in Madame Ex is a clone. (She isn't but that's beside the point.)
Even in "Double Jeopardy" where Clark was just involved in exposing that the President and the head of the secret service had been replaced by clone, it still takes Clark 12 hours to even consider that Lois might be a clone. Earlier he checks to see if she is a double. So he has obviously been convinced she is not acting at all herself, and even that takes too long. The fact he does not jump out of bed immediately and says "now who are you, and what have you done with Lois" is surprising. He still might have been able to save her quickly if he had realized then. grumble grumble grumble grumble

CLARK: I wanted to invite her to join me, but she was busy visiting the Luthor House for Homeless Kids (caused by LexCorp).
LEX: That's not it's official title.
CLARK: Are you saying those kids aren't homeless because of you and your business practices.
LEX: I didn't say that. I just said, that I didn't call my charity that. Get the name right.
So Jack and Denny's parents died because they ran afoul of the boss?

John Pack Lambert