Lois, this is sure a surprise,” Jonathan replied,
Do Jonathan and Martha still suspect Lois dumped Clark to pursue Superman?

She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing why Clark had chosen this family for his own.
Actually she has no clue why he chose them.

Their manners and politeness mirrored his own.
She is confusing cause and effect here. Their actions are his because they are his family, not the other way around.

It would make people naturally assume they were his folks, even if they weren’t.
They are more his folks than Lois realizes.

“Frankly, Jonathan, I’ve had a horrible week, and I’m hoping that you could brighten my day with a favor.”
Well, she is the one who insisted that Clark date Linda, so I think it is mainly her fault.

Jonathan paused before responding, and Lois wondered if she had been too forward. “Jerome isn’t here,” he finally said.
Lois:I know that, he is off having lunch with a slut who works for the competition.

“Oh, I know that, Jonathan,” Lois said, understanding that she probably deserved that response after the last time they spoke.
Well, that was the only time she had called and talked to Jonathan.

She wanted to cut to the chase, but she didn't quite know how to do so without seeming too ‘citified’, as Clark had described her actions in Smallville.
As long as she does not imply that people in Smallville don't know about modern technology, she should be OK.

She figured she first needed to smooth the way.
Maybe she should just use this call for smoothing the way, and not push for anything yet.

“I wanted to apologize for my behavior the other day when I called.
Jonathan:The person you should apologize to is Jerome. He was here ready to talk to you but you just hung up.

I had been so worried about Clark, him disappearing and all, especially right after he had gone missing and ended up in the hospital…”
Jonathan:Have you explained this to Jerome?

Her voice faded a moment as she recalled how her heart had lodged in her throat when Perry had first mentioned it.
Then why does she keep driving Clark away?

Then she remembered that Clark had gone undercover at the Met Star on a big story without informing her first, and found her voice again.
grumble what is with everyone figuring it out?

Clark:Well, it helps they found this dimension's version of me in the spaceship that landed back in 1966.

Lois: dizzy

Clark:I guess I should start at the beginning. In 1966 a Kal-el came here from Krypton, but was killed by an evil time traveler ...

“I was wondering if you had a way to get a copy of Clark’s birth certificate.”
Jonathan:Even better, we have the original.

Jonathan didn’t reply, so Lois plowed ahead.
Interesting reaction.

John Pack Lambert