“Kent didn’t go to the ball with Cat Grant either, did he?” Lex inquired.
Oh no, Lex is seeing too much.

“Did he ask you to go as his date to try to make Cat jealous?”
Lois:Not in a million years. Clark does not care what Cat things only what I think.

Her gaze jumped up to his. What? Where had Lex gotten the absurd idea that Clark and Cat were an item?
From knwoing that Cat was at Clark's place when Lois stopped by after rejecting the arc. How he learned that I am not sure I ever understood.

Certainly not from her.
That is good to know.

Why was he under the misguided belief that Clark had broken up with Lois because of Cat?
Is he? If it had not been for Cat, Lois would not have cheated on Clark, with Superman.

“Cat has moved on.
Not really, she would still try to get Clark if she thought she had any chance with him.

You and I know what kind of woman she is, a beautiful butterfly who flits from flower to flower, never wanting to stay too long in one spot.
After her reaction to Phil, I think Luthor is wrong about that as well.

She used Kent,
Lois:That would require her to have gotten to him, which only one woman has.

It was quite surprising that Cat thought Arthur Chow wouldn’t hear of it.
This is a good point. Unless Arthur Chow spent most of his time elsewhere, and ever then. I am thinking that is a point that never made sense in the show.

“But Kent, he still desires her, and he wants her back, doesn’t he?” Lex went on when Lois didn’t speak.
Lois:No, Kent only desitres one woman, and it isn't Cat.

Lois stared at Lex, wondering where he was going with his strange hypothesis.
He will assume she is shocked either because she somewhat believes it but wants to deny it.

“Kent doesn’t want you. He wants Cat, and yet you haven’t given up hope that he’ll change his mind,” Lex said.
I am glad that Luthor is so wrong. I am not sure it will help Lois though.

“And remember what it was once like between you.”
Lois:It was like that between us until just a few minutes ago.

Was this what Lex meant by he came to ‘rescue’ Lois? He thought Clark was using her?
It really does not matter why Lex intervened, he has manged to reck Lois and Clark's relationship.

Oh, no. That was the opposite of what Lois wanted Lex to think about Clark.
I knew this was a stupid idea. This undercover plan is crazy.

She didn’t want Clark in Lex’s bad books; she wanted him off the radar completely.
I don't think it is doable.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Lois sputtered. She took a deep breath and spoke more calmly. “Clark and I are just friends.”
Somehow I don't see her convincing Luthor of that when he thinks he knows they have slept together on multiple occasions.

“Lex,” Lois insisted. “Clark and I didn’t go to the ‘Magic of the Night’ ball together.”
I guess this is technically true. Lois showed up alone. frown

“So, you went to the ball by yourself?” he said skeptically.
It is technically true. So,she did go there to be close to Clark, but she did not show up with him.

Did you think that Kent would take notice of you again once he saw how beautiful you look tonight and that Cat had no real interest in him?
Lois:Well, I did get dressed up in part for Clark, but I am never admitting that to this creep.

Moreover, what exactly did that sexist pig mean about ‘men’s desires not being flighty’?
smile1 I like her calling Luthor a sexist pig. I do not think it really made sense for a strong willed woman like Lois to be attracted to a man like Luthor who so obviously thought of her as an object and a conquest and not a person.

Did Lex think he could bring Lois’s interest around to him again?
Clearly he does.

She had to say that she didn’t share this idea, but she might be able to make it work in her favor.
I wish she would just give up on this really, really diffcult and bizarre plan.

“When I showed up tonight, you felt too embarrassed to admit that you didn’t have a real date, so you actually tried to get me to believe that you came with that young man.
It is probably at some level good that Luthor so misreads the Clark/Cat dynamic. Otherwise he might see that Lois is trying to cover up her relationship with Clark.

Maybe you also wanted Kent to suspect that you had moved on.
I think she made more progess on that line than she intended.

Lois:I had no intent of telling Clark I had moved on.

Reader:I think he got that message though.

We both know you would never have agreed to a date with what’s-his-name unless it was a cry for help.
Luthor does come off as very arrogant here.

No, no, you didn’t want me to feel sorry for your lack of a real date,” Lex said.
Actually more she was trying to avoid too much time with him.

His thumb caressed her cheek in a more than friendly manner.
gag. Why does she pput up with this?

Sorry that she was caught was more like it, and even more sorry that he had showed up to intrude at all.
smile1 she does not like Luthor at all. Too bad Clark does not see this.

“But I guarantee you that I wasn’t there because of Clark…” she said, trying to think of another idea he might buy.
Now she is lieing.

“Yes, well, actually, I guess you could say I was.” She laughed. “But not for the reason you think. This goes without saying and is strictly between us. If I hear a word of this repeated on LNN, I’ll never speak to you again.”
I so hope he spills the beans to LNN.

“Lois, I’m hurt that you think I would ever reveal any of your confidences for personal gain,” Lex said, frowning slightly. “Or use anything you might say against you.”
But he has already tried to kill her partner because of chance conversations, she will not believe him.

Lois reached over and rested her hand on his knee in reassurance she did not feel.
gag.

and I was afraid… I didn’t want you to get the wrong idea about Clark and me. We’re partners, nothing more.”
Clark:And whose fault is that.

Lois:This is undercover work. I have to lie to Luthor.

How many more times would she have to say it before it began to sink in, Lois wondered.
More than she can say with it having any meaning.

Lois jerked her hand away, blushing. “No!... Yes!...” she sputtered to Lex’s delight.
The truth is yes. Although at some level she does not care if Luthor is jealous, only that he acts on his jealousy.

She had no desire to go that deep undercover with any man, let alone Lex Luthor. True, she had dated him under such a guise last summer, but she wouldn’t again.
How is her accepting his rides, champaign and touches not dating?

She was turning him down because of how she felt about Clark, and because Lex was a bad, bad man who wanted Superman dead and had given her a watch with a Kryptonite band to accomplish that feat.
Oh, not because he is way too old for her and has distained her as too "young" to really be in the know.

Against every fiber of her being, Lois knew that she needed to give Lex some small encouragement to convince him that he was making some sort of headway with her.
whinging I don't like it when they fight.

“Come on, Clark, you and I both know it wasn’t a real date. I gave Jimbo my spare ticket for helping me out on the Laderman investigation,” she said. “And it was the ‘Magic of the Night’, Clark, after five minutes I had had enough magic to last me a lifetime, even Cat left early, and Chow never even showed up! Also, it said on the invite it was the ‘Magic of the Night’ Ball. Where was the ball, Clark? I didn’t see a band. I didn’t hear any music. Nobody was dancing. That isn’t a ball.”
Good point. They never seemed to address that issue in canon.

“You should’ve stuck around, Lois,” Clark said, and she couldn’t tell if he was being serious or sarcastic. “There was a terrific big band which played. Alice showed up and Perry convinced them to play some Elvis songs, including my favorite ‘A Fool Such as I’.
I think he is being serious. I wish she had stuck around, Maybe her and Clark could have even danced.

I met a nice woman, several nice women in fact, but one in particular, who gave me her phone number.
I hope this was not Linda King.

I’m thinking about calling her up for a date, since I’m currently not dating anyone.
whinging this is so sad. He is not trusting Lois.

Lois’s jaw dropped open. He met someone.
Lois, you do keep on going off with Luthor. It is bound to be too much at some point, especially when you are giving him no reason to not think something is up with you and Luthor.

Of course, she had left with Luthor, but that hadn’t meant anything.
How is Clark supposed to know that.

She told Clark that he had to trust her.
But she has been friendly to Luthor in the past.

“Sounds fun. I’m sorry I left,” she spit out, staring at him and hoping he didn’t misread the apology in her eyes.
She needs to start telling Clark more and leaving less to his reading her expressions.

John Pack Lambert