If Clark took that advice, he might not be willing to share the truth yet,
Well, he probably is not healed enough yet to make it likely she will believe him.

Alternatively, Lois sighed, perhaps Clark thought there wasn’t any reason to tell her the truth because she was still in love with Superman. She shook her head. Of course, she still loved Superman. She would always love Superman. He was her soul mate. There wasn’t anything she could do about it though. Superman didn’t want to risk her life by becoming more than friends with her. That hadn’t changed. Anyway, Clark had known that about Lois going into this relationship. She was trying to move on. Couldn’t he give her some credit for that? If he hadn’t wanted damaged goods… No, Clark had always told her that her feelings for Superman didn’t matter to him. Had that changed?
Actually it remains unclear what Clark wants along these lines. My guess is he wants her to love him at least as much as Superman, but we have not really learned much along these lines.

ask Clark more subtle questions about how he knew so much without a college degree,
Clark: I never said I did not have a college degree. I just said I didn't graduate from Midwest Stae. I graduated from a university in the place I was before I became a refugee.

and see what she could find out about the Kents of Italy.
Since Jerome died during WWII, my guess is she will find nothing.

She was still curious how he had been able to finagle a reference from Professor Carlton if he hadn’t graduated from MidWest U.
Well, since he did actually have Professor Carlton he knows a lot about the man, just the man does not know much about him. Hmm, I don;t think there is anyway to explain how this worked without mentioning parrelel universes, short of massive lieing that also implies doing probably illegal surveilance.

Clark was too intelligent to have never graduated from high school at all.
Sometimes it is the most intelligent ones who don't graduate.

Was the coffee and pie smell that had woken her up an hour before Clark's breakfast? No, it couldn’t be, because Clark didn’t eat sweets like pie.
Although he did drink the lemon-lime soda she gave him, so he seems to be changing his no sugar rule.

Now, she was wondering where everyone was.
Maybe they went to the Corn fest. Nah, they won't go without Lois, would they?

She and Clark still had to convince the judge in Lawrence to drop the ridiculous charges against Jimmy before they all could catch the first plane back to Metropolis.
Maybe they went to try to free Jimmy themselves without Lois.

Martha came out onto the back porch as Lois approached.
I guess they are still here.

“There you are. I thought I heard you moving around. Ready for some breakfast?”

“I’d love a cup of coffee,” Lois admitted.
Martha: I said breakfast, not a drink.

Lois grinned. “I hear you and I are fans of the same man.”

“Oh?” Martha said, entering the kitchen.

“A hero,” Lois said with a wink. “A super fantastic guy.”
“Martha,” Lois started to ask, but then stopped herself. She took a deep breath and forged ahead. “Why do you still call him Jerome if his name is Clark?”
smile1 She insists his name is Clark.

“Martha!” Lois gasped, and lowered her voice. “He could hear us.”
Martha: Has the Kryptonite poisoning worn off already.

Martha waved off Lois’s concern. “Nah. The boys went out to check if there was anything recoverable from the truck you stole from the soldiers yesterday.”
smile1 They are going to find Superman's spaceship.

NR: Not likely, even if it was in the Truck, the B39 people probably took it when they came for Trask's body.

“He went without me?” Lois growled, setting down her mug and grabbing her jacket.

“You were asleep,” Martha defended Clark. Of course.
Clark: Did you really want to see the spot where you almost died? I don;t want to see you in that cursed spot Lois, it is just too dangerous.

“I’m sure they’ll be back at any minute and will tell us about anything they found,” Martha continued.
Lois: I am not one to let the big alpha male do all the tough work. I'm a reporter for crying out loud. I want to be in the thick of the action.

Lois was just happy that the FBI imposters hadn’t taken the wreckage with them when they stole all the other evidence of Bureau 39’s involvement at the Kent and Irig farms.
PR: Superman's ship still might be hid in there somewhere, under all the burned material.

The banging noise increased in volume as they went down the driveway. Around the bend, they saw Jonathan watching as Clark used an ax to chop down the old oak tree she had hit with the truck.

“What is he doing?” Lois asked.
Clark: I am taking my vengeance on the killer.

“He’s trying to find his sense of control over his own destiny,” answered Jonathan. “It eluded him yesterday and he wants it back.”

“And he thinks chopping down an innocent tree will help?”
Clark: That tree is not innocent. It killed my parents.

“When did you become judge, jury, and executioner?”
Clark: Lois, it's a tree for crying outload. We remove them all the time. It's not like it is some crime Lord, stopping justice at every turn.

“It’s a dangerous spot for a tree. Anyone could hit it and die,” he replied, changing his lie after she called him out for his last one.
Well, this is mostly true.

Clark: My parents did hit it and die. It is totally true.

“It’s not really the tree you’re angry at, is it?” she pressed on. “Is it Trask? Now Bureau 39 has once more faded into the shadows after claiming to have found a way to kill your friend and hero?”
Clark: They don't have it any more though.

“Is it Sheriff Harris and his stubbornness regarding his arrest of Jimmy?” she asked.

He still didn’t move.
Hmm, is she going to guess until she gets it, or give up first. I am guessing give up first.

Those two had frustrated her enough to take an ax to a tree. Clark had too, but in a completely different venting sort of way.

“Are you saying that I don’t make you mad? That I don’t make you frustrated and angry enough to take an ax to a tree?” she said skeptically.
Clark: help There is no safe way to answer this question.

“No, Lois. I have never wanted to hurt you. Never,” he replied, cupping her jaw with his hand.
Hmm, pretty good answer. Although wanting to hurt her, and wanting to hurt something else are not quite the same.

“Is it Superman?” she went on, trying to push past the rush of emotions this touch brought out in her.
dance she likes his touch.

His hand fell.
Wait, how is it Superman? Hmm, is it he is frustrated that he does not have his superpowers back?

You and your big mouth, Lane. “So, it is Superman. You’re angry with Superman for not coming to your rescue after all the times you’ve been there for him? You’re mad at him for not being here in your hour of need to protect you, me, and your family, and him by claiming you were Superman to the man trying to find a way to kill him?”

“Who said he wasn’t here?” Clark said, looking her in the eye.
dance dance He is going to tell her the truth. Of is this just a small stating the truth so he will have a track record of not lieing? I will pretend this is a cliff hanger and stop reading for a bit.

John Pack Lambert