Originally Posted by LMA
Clark is a really nice guy--a guy who has never had a lot of friends. No one he could be himself around, or really relate to (until Lois). Feeling different sometimes makes you feel like you are on the outside--watching everything 'else' (people relating to other people) play out in front of you. To be included--to be needed/to be wanted--to have others asking to spend time with you, is special...especially when it hasn't happened much in your life.

IMO, with Clark and Mason, Clark was just being his 'nice by default' self. I don't think he meant to lead her on with intent. He just appreciates people, their friendships, and does not--in any way--want to hurt them. He's felt pain socially, and he does not want to inflict it onto others.
I agree with Lynn. clap Well argued, Laura!

While Clark admits to Lois in OB that he still communicates with his friends from college, you actually never see him with any of his other so-called friends (or see him talking to them). I'm betting that they are more like acquaintances (like Rachel), whom he's friendly with, but not really close to.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.