I know I'm in the minority, but the date felt staged. They already knew each other. They just put on pretty clothes and went out to a fancy restaurant and told different stories. I don't know how they could pretend NOT to know each other as well as they do, or what the point of it was.
There's a huge, huge difference (I think) between hanging out as friends/coworkers and going on a date. I've dated coworkers before and, even when you're already good friends, you're seeing them in a new light. There's something deeply flattering and wonderful about the transformation that takes place when a friend you want as more than a friend gets dressed up and takes you somewhere "nice". They never pretended not to know each other, they simply told new stories to each other. I found it sweet and believable that Lois would confide something formative and painful about her adolescence to Clark. That's really the essence of the kind of freedom that you'd feel around a good friend (and not a first date). I found it sexy beyond belief when Clark fed her cake and was obviously affected by her moan of delight. It was fun to see Lois get flustered when she realized that she'd said "or make love" out loud. After waiting so long to see them drop the barriers and move forward with the relationship, I was delighted and charmed by their first date.

I agree with Virginia completely that having them go to a Pearl Jam concert was ridiculous. They were not the target audience for that band and it felt (then and now) like a lame attempt to make them "hip" or something. :rolleyes:

As for the kiss? That was awesome, but I always have to make sure I bump it to start past the part where Clark asks why she came back for him because she was "running into a nuclear explosion". Really? Really?!? If it's a nuclear explosion, it's not going to matter if she's 20 feet away or 20 miles. She's toast! I can usually overlook the "science" on the show, but that one drives me right around the bend.

And, finally, RIP Mayson Drake. I still mourn you, you poor deluded creature. mecry

ETA: I also like that Clark states that Jimmy is still trying to get him to wear an earring. It's a nice nod to the couch scene in The Prankster when he contemplates being a "wild man" like Mel Gibson in 'Lethal Weapon'. laugh

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis