Welcome Quelly wave...

Lynn posted:

I had always had the impression that he has a hard time saying, "No," regardless of the circumstances. If Ralph had wanted to pal around with him by going to a football game, for example, I think Clark would have even had a hard time declining that offer. IMHO, it has nothing to do with the other person's gender; it has everything to do with not wanting to hurt another person's feelings.

Clark is a really nice guy--a guy who has never had a lot of friends. No one he could be himself around, or really relate to (until Lois). Feeling different sometimes makes you feel like you are on the outside--watching everything 'else' (people relating to other people) play out in front of you. To be included--to be needed/to be wanted--to have others asking to spend time with you, is special...especially when it hasn't happened much in your life.

IMO, with Clark and Mason, Clark was just being his 'nice by default' self. I don't think he meant to lead her on with intent. He just appreciates people, their friendships, and does not--in any way--want to hurt them. He's felt pain socially, and he does not want to inflict it onto others.

And--totally IMO again wink --I think Mason was a bit too pushy regarding Clark.

The combination of their personalities led to a lot of unnecessary back and forth... help

Laura

(And sticking to the same train of thought, when Clark did meet Lois, when he was able to immediately understand her--how she was hiding herself, creating walls of protection--and actually see himself in her, THAT, I've always thought, is what sealed the deal for Clark that Lois was 'The One' for him. He finally--after his whole life feeling different--felt like he could belong).

And to sidebar a sidebar (hey, why not? huh ), that is totally so much why this show clicked with me. When you grow up shy, wonder day to day about fitting in, seeing these awesome characters figure that whole process out is pretty reassuring clap .

Last edited by LMA; 10/15/15 03:10 AM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~