Interesting poll. I don't watch Smallville so I can't comment on who Clark should end up with in that show, but I took the poll itself and the answers it elicited as something more general that also concerns Lois and Clark fanfic.

While I like the idea of Lois and Clark's mythic love and Lois being Clark's first lover, I don't have anything against them having had other relationships before they got together. I'm not even restricting it to before they met each other. After all, in the beginning, things weren't that smooth in their relationship. Lois even ended up getting engaged (and almost married) to another guy. Clark waited patiently while Lois refused to see how she felt about him, but what if he hadn't been that patient? That's one thing I'm trying to explore in one of the WIPs on my hard drive. Of course, that would involve writing, which is something I haven't managed to do in months, but that's another issue.

I don't think that either of them having relationships with others before they got together lessens their love for each other once they do get together. Who in real life can pretend to have met the right person from the start? And okay, maybe it can happen, but even if you have relationships before you get together with the person you end up marrying, does that mean you're not truly in love with that person? Personally, I don't believe so. And since I'm absolutely convinced that Lois and Clark are very ordinary people (okay, bar the flying), then I don't mind such possibilities being explored in fanfic. Quite the opposite!

Just my humble opinion!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~