Updating with:

#43 Elizabeth Haydon - Rhapsody

I bought this one on the strength of reading the first few chapters of the first book in the second trilogy in the series. Sadly, it proved a disappointment. I really liked the main characters, but the writing style and plot were plodding and boring. I found myself quickly skimming over each new interminable section of exposition. An author who needs to learn the golden rule - show, don't tell. Too much of this one was people sitting around talking.

#44 Brian Keene - City of the Dead

I was somewhat disappointed with this sequel, too. The flaws that were evident in the first book but which I was prepared to ignore because it was such a fun read, just irritated in the main, here. The new characters were bland and most of all I was depressed by the totally bleak ending, which was unexpected. I know it's a zombie horror romp, but even so... although I've enjoyed his work, in the main, I doubt I'll be able to read many more of his novels if they all end so depressingly.

#45 Bernard Cornwell - Fallen Angels

I'd never heard of this one from one of my favourite authors, so it was a delight to pick up in the charity shop. Thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

#46 Lisa Gardner - Hide

One of the pleasures in raiding charity shops for books is finding new authors you might otherwise never know. Gardner definitely comes into that catagory. I loved the originality of the plot in this one. Coupled with interesting characters and a mild romantic subplot, it was easy reading.

#47 Sidney Sheldon - Are You Afraid of the Dark?

I went through a kick of reading Sheldon when I was a teen, but can't remember much about them. So this had a tinge of nostalgia to it. An undemanding plot of the kind that requires movie-of-the-week thriller-type huge coincidences and implausibilities to work, but that's part of the fun.

#48 Mary Higgins Clark - The Cradle Will Fall

Clark is in the same category as Sheldon. An author whose books I read in my teen years. This was a standard thriller - the author is definitely on my C list - but, again, the huge plot holes you can drive a tractor through and the coincidences and implausibilities didn't detract from it being a few hours enjoyable reading.

#49 Michael Moore - Stupid White Men

Self-explanatory. You either love him or hate him or...actually, I'm fairly ambiguous. I've read funnier ways to point to the hypocrites in our world. But didn't disappoint - at least with Moore you get what it says on the tin.

party #50 Dean Koontz - The Face party

After the disappointments of the last Koontz book I read, this was a return to the master of the genre I know and love. Absolutely wonderful psychological thriller with a genuinely creepy villain and two central characters you really wanted to win through. Nice twist at the end, too.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers