Updating with:

#31 Gone, Baby, Gone - Dennis Lehane

I picked this one up in the charity shop mainly out of curiosity, having recently seen the movie (which was quite good). As a thriller, there's not much that makes this stand out of the pack - which isn't to say that it isn't an enjoyable read, because it was. A keeper, in fact. But what lifts it is Lehane's ability to pose a difficult question and get you thinking. I have to say that I was in disagreement with the protagonist's final decision, but it's a dilemma that's had me thinking since.

#32 The Last Innocent Man - Philip M. Margolin

I've only read one novel previously from this author, which was firmly in the Harlen Coben territory. This one was much more in the territory of Richard North Patterson or John Grisham. I don't think this author is quite in the same league, but it was a good read anyway and, actually, really picked up for me in the last third when the author strayed away from the courtroom battle aspects of the plot and into what I think is more familiar territory for him - the mystery thriller.

#33 House of Echoes - Barbara Erskine

I haven't read every novel by this author, but I've read a few. Generally I've enjoyed them, despite having issues with some of the unfathomable choices made by her characters. In this, she's often the literary equivalent of those horror movies that have you yelling at the TV "No, no, don't wait till dark to go up to that spooky house and stake the vampire! What are you, morons?!"

This was her most enjoyable yet, though, where that irritation was kept to the minimum and everyone behaved - for the most part - logically. I did think that the ending was somewhat rushed, but that was a minor quibble.

#34 The World According To Clarkson Vol. 2: And Another Thing... - Jeremy Clarkson

Not the kind of book I'd normally choose to read - I usually find them fairly superficial. But - despite having zero interest in cars - I am a huge fan of Top Gear and the antics of The Hamster, Captain Slow, The Stig and Jeremy (don't call him Jezza). So I thought I'd give this collection of Jeremy's thoughts from his weekly newspaper column a go.

First of all, I found it to be thicker than most of its ilk. I couldn't say that it was thigh-slapping amusing as the cover blurb promised, but I did LOL more than once and although I don't always agree with Jeremy's POV, he's always witty and thought-provoking when presenting it. He even changed my mind on a couple of occasions. Highly entertaining and I'd read more.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers