Yeah, CapeFetish, that's exactly what this thread is about, as I saw it when I started it: a celebration of a milestone in history, the same kind of milestone as in the UK in 1979 when Margaret Thatcher was elected prime minister. I still have little time for most of what Thatcher stood for, but I could and can still acknowledge her great achievement.

Stephnachia said:
I'd like to see a day when a black man can run for President and it not even be brought up that he's black. I'd like to see the issues be the only thing that matters.
Absolutely - but in order for that to happen, there has to be a first. Once you've had a black president, another black candidate running for president would be treated as any other candidate, black or white. If Hillary Clinton had been the nominee this year, the story would have been about the first woman potential president. It's now perfectly normal to have black and female senators and governors, but I still remember a time when that was considered something to comment on, far more than the person's policies or character.

It'll happen, and in our lifetime too. For now, as far as I'm concerned history was made last night and I'll always remember where I was the night Barack Obama was elected - and, too, I'll remember both candidates' speeches, McCain's gracious and honourable concession speech and Obama's inspirational and inclusive victory one.

Oh, and Terry: your post brought a lump to my throat, just as Obama's story of the 106-year-old voter last night did. These things were true in our lifetimes, just as apartheid in South Africa was, and we're seeing prejudice overcome and major milestones to equality achieved right before our eyes. There may be plenty more to be done, but steps such as these are a privilege to witness.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*