Electing a black man into the White House, regardless of "how black" he is, would never have happened even as recently as 30, 40 years ago, IMO, so I think this is huge progress.
America can be justifiably proud of herself today.

clap clap

As I've said elsewhere, I have a healthy distrust of and disrespect for most politicians, so I greatly surprised myself by bursting into tears when the election coverage passed the 270 mark!

Like Wendy says, leaving all the rest of it aside, whether he'll live up to expectations, be the best President ever or the worst, I just think it's such a wonderful, amazing thing that an African-American is your President today. Something that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

I think quibbling over how 'black' he is is faintly ridiculous, Captivated2, and I'm sorry that you can't put aside your partisanship and bias just for one moment to acknowledge the huge achievement this has been for your country and for Obama. I'm sure there were many Republican who voted for Palin because she's a 'hockey-mom', is 'folksy' and shoots moose - and many other, just as spurious reasons.

Talking of which - I have to admit that McCain's concession speech was deeply moving and very gracious. It didn't quite make up for what was, imo, an outrageous and nasty campaign, but it did go some way. I heard a lot of people talking about the 'real McCain' coming back and for the first time I did see the man of honour and integrity that people kept saying he used to be.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers