Of course, part of the "history" being made here is that a shockingly inexperienced man, whose campaign consisted of rhetoric that sounded good, but was so VAUGE, people can just pour their own meaning into it... that such a person actually got elected is a first.
Actually, no it isn't. I understand that Abraham Lincoln was just as inexperienced when he became President and as for vague rhetoric...you could charge most politicians on that count. I didn't hear much of what McCain was promising either - his campaign seemed to consist mostly of propaganda about what Obama would do. huh

Anyway, it's a waste of time re-visiting campaigns, so...moving on... wink

You know, I understood what a momentous thing this was at an intellectual level, but it really struck me at an emotional level when I was watching the news earlier.

In amongst the footage of joyous celebration a small African-American girl stood, vigorously waving an American flag and chanting "Obama!". I doubt she really understood it all, but when I saw her I realised that she was about the same age as Obama's youngest.

What will it mean to that little girl to see someone who looks just like her, who is her race, who is her age, growing up in the White House? To see a man who looks like her father in charge of America?

That, I think, will be the real triumph here. The inspiring of a whole generation of African-Americans to dare to reach further and higher than their parents ever could.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers