Anywhere in Alaska is excellent. I loved it there. The next time I go, I would like to explore SE Alaska. Maybe go halibut fishing.
If you are interested in exploring the West, Glacier National Park is wonderful. We were there in late summer, early fall and it was fantastic. There was plenty of widlife around. We could hear the elk at night. Bears were in the campground as well. We had to leave because of them.
Cody, Wyoming is another city to visit. It has the Buffalo Bill Museum. I could get lost there. It has three wings, one for western art, one for Indian history and artifacts and one for guns. It is huge. If you go in the summer, there are rodeos there. Irma's is also a historical place to go. Food's ok but the historical significance is better.
There are also good places to go in South Dakota. I love the Black Hills. Rushmore is wonderful. It was better before the huge parking ramp was built, but it is still worth seeing. In Custer State Park, you can drive through the buffalo herd and look for other wildlife. Wind Cave is there. Crazy Horse Mountain is progressing along so that you can actually see the statue. Summertime also brings Sturgis to life, if you are interested in seeing a wilder portion of the American population. That's where the bikers go. It gets wild. FYI, I have never been to Sturgis, but I have rode my own horse to Rushmore.