The helicopter question is something that's been puzzling me greatly. Every official I've seen interviewed makes the same point - it's difficult to get into NO because the train tracks are out, the roads are underwater...but no one seems to ask them what was physically stopping helicopters from reaching the place. And I can't see what was.

We're seeing that they are doing so now, of course, but why not days ago?

And I was just asking about these military trucks we see. They seem to be managing to move through the floodwaters now, days after the event. So why were they apparently unable to days ago, when the level of flooding hasn't changed in the days inbetween?

Even the helicopters in now don't seem to be doing much good. I've just watched a news report that showed one landing in an area just long enough to dump out food and then lifting off, as a crowd of fit, young men swarmed around it.

As one desperate woman refugee watching pointed out, how are the elderly, the sick, the children supposed to get what they need this way? The only people being fed are the fit, young men, who are there for every drop, taking everything. They've been making these drops in the same place, all day, and it's the same small group of men taking the supplies every time they do.

Without some kind of controlled supply - guarded by soldiers if need be - the most vulnerable who most need these supplies aren't going to get a lookin. frown

Why can't they put the fires out with helicopters?
As I understand it, their policy on this one at the moment is that the fires aren't in danger of spreading too much, so better use can be made of the helicopters they currently have doing other things, like aid drops. I presume that if the situation changes and the fires become more of a hazard, they'll have to put them out. But at the moment it's a case of prioritising what they have and where they can use it best. So, if the fires aren't causing too much of an immediate problem, they'll just let them burn out on their own, while they work elsewhere.

Marilyn, glad to see that you're safe and well. Hope this hasn't affected you too much.

LabRat

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers