Paul, Pam and Lab make a valid point. The job of the Red Cross is to swoop in immediately after a disaster and secure the urgent needs of the people, but once things have calmed down and no one is on the brink of starvation or medical crisis, RC backs away and lets other organizations take over.

So it does make sense that the RC might want to limit how much they receive for this situation and have people direct some of their donations toward organizations that will help people in the long term. I personally don't care. If the RC ended up with extra money and banked it for a future emergency, that's fine with me. As long as the money eventually finds its way into the hands of a victim who desperately needs it, I'm satisfied.

The other option is to donate directly to someone who you know needs the money. I'm sending WalMart shopping cards to a few people who have lost everything because I know they will be used to buy food and supplies as they are needed and when they are needed.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah