As for the library thing, I'm often sort of trapped. Most of the time there *is* no other person in line (even at a busy library, with four people on the desk the line goes fast most of the time), and I have to stay at my computer. But I do generally ignore them or try to force them to realize how rude they're being. Though, you know, I find much of how I react to such situations depends on what kind of mood I'm in... if I'm in a bad mood, I refuse to give an *inch* on the rules, etc.

And as for libraries being bastions (is that the word I mean?) of silence... that is no more. Our rules officially changed from "Cell phone use is not permitted in the library" to "cell phones are only permitted in the library if conversations are brief and quiet and the ringer is set to silent." Even that doesn't hold, much. Although some of our worst offenders are... the police. They come in to use the computer, and I don't know if they're on duty or what, but they have these radios (walkie-talkies, cell phones, something) that every 30 seconds or so give off a little ring and you can hear somebody talking as if they're on speaker phone. Ugh, it's *such* a pain in the butt. Of course, they help with discipline, so we tolerate them.

I'm glad to hear the stories of people who were workaholics and found their way out of it. We actually had a sermon at church the other day that talked about the dangers of workaholism, how it can be a disease almost as much as alcoholism, how it can destroy families to the same degree, etc.

The kids/teens who need to be in constant contact with their friends worry me as much as the adults, honestly. It's almost as addicting as television or the computer... constant entertainment with no real value. Chatting constantly about nothing, etc. And having your friends to entertain you while you walk to classes, grocery shop, or do chores keeps people from having to think, look around, enjoy the weather, daydream, and experience all of the other private enjoyments of solitude. It somehow seems a loss to me, even though I do the same thing (okay, maybe it's walking around reading a book, but still).

I do have a cell phone, but half the time I forget to charge it. I always figure that I can recharge it in the car, although if my battery died that wouldn't happen. I can change my own tires, however. smile