Well, in my case, the landline exists purely because I have to have it to get DSL; I almost never use it. The cell phone is my normal means of communication, in part because the long distance is included; that means I don't have to worry about budgeting myself when I call my sweetheart at night. (Given that we talk for at least an hour per night and frequently two or three, that makes a difference. Our conversations usually end when the battery gives out. wink ) Not to mention being able to reach my parents on theirs without having to dig up their itenerary to see what hotel they're in right now, or when they hadn't found a hotel at the time they sent me the list.....

So far as answering during another conversation, it depends on relative priorities; unless we're in Bible Study praying (phone doesn't go to church), I'll usually answer for Emi or my parents to see if it's anything urgent and let them know I'll call back later. I wouldn't hold an actual conversation around someone else in most cases -- though if I'm with Emi and my parents call, she usually tells me to talk to them immediately rather than promising to call back.