Well, Ann, if you're going to reference several thousand years of history, you will certainly find expendable women there. For most of history, and in some parts of the world today, women are indeed considered inferior. Reference the "honor killings" in Islamic culture, where if a girl mis-behaves, her parents/brothers/relatives are expected to murder her. This is horrific and I don't think anyone on these boards would approve. Even the Superman mythos is grounded in a similar culture (less violent, with different hang-ups, but still emphasizing males over females), originally. This would be why I don't read old comics (I don't read new ones either, but for other reasons).

What any of this has to do with fanfic is a whole 'nother question. This is a group of people who prefer the "Lois & Clark" version of Superman precisely *because* of Lois's supreme importance in this particular sub-section of the Super-world. I'm not aware of any other version where Lois is treated as absolutely essential to the creation and function of Superman. We like that. That's one of the biggest reasons we're here.

So please confine yourself to fanfic examples when trying to convict us all of hating women, okay? smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K