Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:

To me the salient point of my idea isn't who dies; it is Clark's angst.
I understand that.

The way I see it, Lois is used as a means to explore Clark's angst. If I may make a horribly crude and admittedly unfair comparison, imagine a scientist who takes a child's hamster and subjects the hamster to torture to explore the kid's reaction. In order to explore the full emotional repertoire of the child, the scientist kills the child's small pet.

Of course, this also means that the hamster is expendable. Under the circumstances, its death is far more interesting than its life. Or rather, the loss of its life is not such a big deal, but its death is valuable because it produces fascinating results - namely, the kid's grief.

In the "Superman as a Christ figure" thread that you started, Lynn, Marcus Rowland pointed out that several comic book heroes have died and returned from the dead. There is Superman, of course, but also Batman and Captain America. And let's not forget Mr. Spock.

[Linked Image]

Spock is dying. His death produces a lot of interesting grief in Captain Kirk. Ah, but Spock returned. His life was too valuable to be squandered just so that we could see Captain Kirk's tears.

Another fictional character who returned after we had been told that he was dead was Bobby Ewing in Dallas.

My point is that all the characters who died and then returned were male. Or am I wrong about that? Does anyone know of a female fictional character who died and then returned to her own living body so that she could go on living on the Earth as herself as before?

I'm not suggesting that there are a whole lot of fics on these boards where Lois dies. I also realize that extremely few people here would openly admit or even think to themselves that they enjoy Lois deathfics because they like seeing a woman die.

I am saying, however, that a pattern exists, that it is much larger than the small world of LnC, and that it teaches us that a male hero is always interesting for his life, but that leading female character may reach the pinnacle of her importance to the world when she dies. Because her death may provoke an interesting reaction in the leading male character, who is probably the real protagonist of the story anyway. Or else, if she herself is the protagonist, her death may be so tragically beautiful in itself.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

[Linked Image]

Beautiful.

Ann