Originally posted by TOC:
I find it interesting as well as very depressing that you said this, Lynn:

It's for a deathfic. I don't even want to *read* that type of story, much less write one; nevertheless, I think this could be developed into a powerful story by someone with the talent and interest...
Quite a few people on these boards seem to reason like that. A deathfic is bad, but a Lois deathfic is okay.
Umm, Ann, actually my reasoning (or lack thereof) was a lot simpler than that...Lois is more of a main character than Clark's parents are. Therefore, she was the first one to come to my mind when I thought of the story idea. To me the salient point of my idea isn't who dies; it is Clark's angst. And since, as I stated before, I do NOT like deathfics myself, I did not wish to put any additional thought into coming up with other alternatives.

As far as I am concerned, Clark's parents dying would work, too, although given their age, it would probably be a less powerful story. That is why I had emphasized in my story idea that Lois was still *young* when she got the cancer -- partly to make Clark's angst more credible, but partly because it is typically seen as more tragic when a person dies who is "cut off in their prime" than when someone dies who already has lived a full and fulfilling life. Gender has nothing to do with it for me.

- Lynn