I don't think Kate is a good example. The actress wanted out of her contract and said she wanted it to be in a way that made it matter rather than just having her character move or something.
I'm not sure that proves anything other than that 'death' was still perceived as the only important change for the female character. There are lots of other ways of having the character leave in a way that 'mattered' and so her example still plays to the stereotype of the expendable female.

This is not to argue that death was not a possibibility, but instead that Kate's example fits into the overall pattern.

Pam, it's been argued before that TOGOM fics are the equivalent of Clark deathfics - but since we all know that Clark was not killed from the beginning, it's not a deathfic, but just an angst fic, an opportunity for a bit of a wallow. smile

But you're quite right that angst fics where either Lois or Clark worries about the death of the other are quite common. Wendy's fic (and that example is one of her best fics imo) is only one. It certainly was present in Jenni's excellent 'The Forgotten' and many others.

But in those fics there's a respect for both characters. One is not expendable in order to make a point about the other. Not sure that's a particularly untraditional point of view I've just stated so much as a humane one. smile

Either Lois or Clark grieving hits too close to home for me. It's a shattering time and I'm not sure it's something that one ever really stops doing.

But I do accept that there are other opinions out there, as there are on most topics.

I also think that this is an importnat topic and worth discussing.

c.