First, I have to mention the enduring popularity of TOGOM fics, where Lois's angst is explored in great depth.

Second, I think the whole issue could be side-stepped if the story was about Lois being ill and contemplating death, Clark freaking out about his possible responsibility, etc, but with a cure being found at the end. (the trick is to make it look hopeless, let them work through their issues, make some sort of peace, then pull a surprise out of nowhere. Wendy did it in 24 Hours (Lois in danger) and For the Greater Good (Clark in danger) and so have many others.)

I must admit, though -- I'm a traditionalist, in some ways. I believe in some loose gender roles -- one of which is that the stronger person (usually the man, in a couple) has a responsibility to protect the weaker one. Adding in Superman magnifies that. So when the wife/girlfriend dies (or has anything awful happen), the husband/boyfriend has that extra layer of guilt. It was his *job* to keep her safe, and he failed. Reversing the genders just doesn't resonate the same way. Mind you, a talented writer could definitely make it work, and parents have a similar responsibility toward their children.

I also think it remotely possible that most of the FOLCs, being female, smile are more interested in a single, grieving male than a single, grieving female. Plus, for me, that second one might hit a little *too* close to home, thinking that something like that is (statistically) likely to happen to me, sooner or later. Did I mention my mom's been widowed twice? And men have a shorter life expectancy, and my husband's 7 years older than me, so...

Anyway, in this particular scenario, it would be difficult to switch genders, since only one of them has been using x-ray vision on the other (well, mostly goofy ).

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K