Very good points Carol.

Ahh but that is the reason I say we have to be careful in how we word things to make our intent clear. My examples were by no means the end all be all of things that can upset people. I was just letting you both know in case you didn't, that most of the forums and chat programs I am on read those types of exclamations that way. It isn’t a small percentage of people but a rather large one from what I have observed. I by no means am telling people they need to stop expressing themselves of censor themselves (and I don’t think you are implying that I said that I just realized I could come across that way). I am just saying that because this is text and you can’t always read emotions through it. Both the people reading and the people typing should learn to remember that and make sure of someone’s intent before taking offense.

And yes I did use the term redemption with the religious meaning. The role of religion, particularly the Christian religion, plays a rather big role in the myth. What with crosses being used to repel the vampire in some cases and often times the hunter’s being holy men or men appointed by the church (let’s use pop culture movie for an example: Van Helsing). So oftentimes you will see that religious terminology in the myth. Although in a lot of the recent literature out there they are pulling away from this ideology. I asked about redemption though because Patrick mentioned the ethics of killing a person. I was wondering how he felt about that. Did he believe that you can never make up for past mistakes? Or can you only make up for certain ones? (I love discussing these things by the way. I don’t any solid answers by any means but I love posing them and hearing other people’s opinions.)

I do understand context though and the glossing over of their character. It really does depend on the context of the story of how we treat them. It is also interesting to note (as you did with the different ways they are represented) that not all vampires are created alike. I’ve seen them represented in many different ways. Most recently I read a book where they were actually considered another race. Human’s couldn’t be turned into vampires. They could mate with them though. ^_~ Also, while they could feed on humans in the long run it didn’t really help them but for a short burst of energy. In order to really survive they have to feed off another vampire. Usually their mate. I have to say that was a much more pleasant tale for me.

I think we still have a lot to learn about Laura’s vampires and where she is going with her story. I’m really anxious to see where she goes with it. ^_^

I guess another question is… how am I rambling on about this so much when it is a passing fancy of mine? LOL I hope I am at least hitting some points you guys are talking about and not just boring you all with my babbles on the subject.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!