oh dear.

Why can't we show as much tolerance of people writing their opinion about interpretations as we do about accepting the right of authors to interpret characters however they want? There's not much of that tolerance for the non-fic writer evident in this thread so far.

Laura (the writer in this case) should be free to make whatever changes she wants in Clark's character. (or any other character)
Patrick (the reader in this case) should be free to express his opinion on characterization.

Although I was ineffectual in arguing that two-way tolerance was an acceptable viewpoint in the last controversial thread, it's still early in the morning, and I'm always an optimist. smile

But probably no hope. No wait, it's not 8:00 AM yet, and there's still some time for optimism. smile

Laura wrote at the end of her part 1:
I think that's all for now. I know this is quite a stretch from the Superman mythos, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on it.
Let's give Laura some creedit here - I don't think she would have written that if she did not genuinely mean it.

Just as Patrick has written that he has not said that Laura can't write what she wants.

Question though - why the fuss about the exclamation point ! ?
It's a wonderful, beautiful thing - in gifc it can even be used as a phallic symbol.
"Clark!"

People use emoticons all the time that are just as extravagant, if not moreso. So do I have to give up punctuation for emoticons? I always feel a bit silly using them, except for smile & laugh Am becoming comfortable with clap though.
Thus in my example above "Clark!" becomes
"Clark clap "
However most definitely not
"Clark rotflol "

I would really hate to give up the ! And colons and semi-colons .... ellipses and ....

I know I haven't commented on Patrick's question about characterization and it's a really good one. It would be great to see a real discussion of it.

c.