But do I think that means we should abandon the Kerths and stop rewarding our top talent? No, not at all.
At no point was I suggesting we do that in my posts, either, Labrat so not sure why you've said that. In fact I suggested a couple of things which might address people's concerns about not being up on all the stories out there. After all, we're all pretty aware of the stories that have been posted recently, but it's those January stories... smile

The Kerths is after all, an awards event. What I was suggesting though is that we be sensitive in the process of getting to the Kerths.

Whether you or I have ever been on anyone's list of favourites is a bit of a red herring, simply because, well, we have been on a couple of lists.

"Story X is brilliant! You must add it to your Kerth list or you're a moron!".
LOL. Not much subtly there at all. But why mention a story is on your Kerth list if you wreren't intending, among other things, of course, to influence others? I can see that sort of "listing" discussion in an IRC chat where you can debate the pros and cons of those stories you're thinking about nominating. You know, the "Fic X was beautifully written, but there was this Grand Canyon plot hole" sort of thing.

as for the fanfic quote game - well, you've got a point there, Labrat. I do agree they can be discouraging when you don't get quoted or when you're quoted so late in the game you feel like you're "bottom of the barrel". smile

I started the "opening lines quotes" because I was interested to see what types of openings grabbed people's attention. But that sounds like a weak defence now.

My point through all this is to ask for some thoughtfulness for the feelings of those excluded from these lists during our travel to the Kerths. I've never posted a Kerth favourites lists on the mbs, although I've e-mailed writers after reading a story to say I'd enjpyed it so much I'd be Kerthing it. That's private, though.

c.