I feel the need to point out that I read the comics exclusively to see what happens to Lois and Clark these days. I loved the Superman comics when I first discovered them in the late sixties, but back then the comics were still in the Silver Age. The stories were wonderfully imaginative, delightfully funny and sweetly, whimsically absurd. The level of violence would have been rated below G by today's standards. The comics back then were just delightful comfort food for my childish mind.

However, ever since the beginning of the seventies I have read the comics, like I said, exclusively to see what would happen to Superman and Lois. There have been a number of really, really good stories during the years that I have been a "Lois and Clark Superman comic book reader", so I have certainly had a good time with the comics after the end of the Silver Age, too. But on the whole, I have to agree with Yvonne when she says of the comics of today that she
found the drawings, particularly of people, unattractive and crude - *hated* the drawings of Superman - and didn't get much out of the stories, either.
The problem with the comics these days is that they basically seem to be written for boys who are into computer games. You know, the sort of games where the hero gets into mindless slugfests with incredibly monstrous-looking monsters and scores points every time he can blow an adversary into smithereens. Unfortunately that is what the Superman comics all too often look like these days. I'd like to be able to recommend today's comics to you FoLCs, but I can't.

But I do remember all those good stories I have read over the years, though. Of course I remember Maggie Sawyer very well. And how about Bibbo Bibbowski? Or Perry White's son, Gerry? Or Cat Grant's son - now, that was an unspeakable thing they did to him in the comics!!!

What particularly strikes me when I watch the TV series is that the people behind the show have taken so many of the best aspects of the Superman myth and put them in the show. They have refined and emphasized many of those things that I loved best about the comics. But they have also added things that have no counterparts in the comics, and here are a few things that I really can't stand. There is the Lois clone that Clark got to spend a night with, or, worse, Lois's near-marriage to Lex Luthor. I think the reason why I hate that is that I never, ever felt that Lois could do something like that in the comics. You've got to understand that I've spent around 37 years in the company of Lois, and to me, her acceptance of Lex's proposal is totally out of character for her. Unfortunately for me, her liason with Luthor is a very popular theme for fanfic stories, so we get to read about it over and over again on these boards, and I have a very hard time accepting it. Similarly, I'm flabbergasted at the suggestion that Clark would leave Lois to go to New Krypton to fight some war there, because that is certainly something he never did in the comics. This, too, is something I have a hard time accepting in fanfic stories.

It is when I read stories where Lois almost, or actually, marries Luthor, or where Clark leaves Lois to go to Krypton to fight a war, that I am really reminded that on some level at least, I really am more of a comic book fan than a L&C:TNAOS fan.

Ann