I'll preface this by saying that I know zilch about the comics so this is going to be a slight rabbit trail--this more addresses the myth concept. As a child, I wasn't into comics and still don't find them all that appealing.

This may be why I find it somewhat bizarre how strongly attached I am to this television show. For me, all of the "world" I know surrounding these characters begins with the television show. It shapes how I perceive and read all stories with these characters.

Ann, you make a good point regarding the boards. I do believe that the show (and now FolCs) have taken this "modern myth" and expanded it much further. That's when we end up debating.

However, I still believe that my basis for how I perceive the characters is strongly influenced by how they were written in the show. Now, granted, I think authors have elaborated on that--a discussion regarding when/if Clark would cry comes to mind here. But, I doubt we would have stories with the same emotional component to them today if it weren't for the series.

It's probably possible to read the FoLC stories and have the same basis as those who had seen the series (Hazel comes to mind). However, I don't thing someone who had only read the comics (and hadn't read any of the stories) would be able to walk in and write a story that would jive with the Lois and Clark we are familiar with. In that sense, I believe some knowledge of the show, whether first or secondhand, is necessary.

So, I guess it all comes down to my feeling that while this Superman myth may be more universal, for me personally, the myth centres around what happened in one specific show and ripples out from there.

Still, I have no difficulties buying Tank's philosophy of using elements from other media. Lois in the stories often *is* stronger than the one on the show, and if it came about as a result of the comics, more power to her. I'll even read a story featuring Supergirl *if* the writer makes it plausible to me.

I do still see the "nitty gritty" parts of the show as something worth getting into, though. After all (while this may get me accused of heresy for the comparison) the Bible has been around a lot longer yet people are still studying it and discussing the tiny details. Why not also something less exalted?

**~~**

Swoosh --->