Okay, I've given this some thought and I've come to the following conclusions:

First, I'll generally write stories because I want to write them, rather than because I think they will fit neatly into a particular fanfic niche. (I certainly didn't have a niche in mind when I wrote A Match Made In Chicago; in fact, I was waiting for the tomatoes to come flying in my direction, given the subject matter! smile ) In other words, I let inspiration dictate what I write.

Second, I do think how much enthusiasm I can muster for a WIP is influenced by my (possibly wrong) perceptions of what will be popular with readers. For short stories, this is probably less of a concern in so far as there is relatively little time and effort involved in putting them down on paper.

Longer stories, though, require a lot of planning and effort. (Not that I've written that many... but this might explain why.) If I doubt there is a readership out there, I might be tempted not to embark on / complete such a major project. Alternatively, I might stall part way through.

My perceptions of what is popular, however, is only one factor in determining what or how I write, and I don't think that it is the major one. A story has to 'grab' me enough for me to be bothered to finish it. It depends on my mood and what RL is up to, too. Plus, I have a dreadful habit of flitting from one idea to another. I wish that I could focus more on just one project and wrestle it into submission before starting on the next... but it doesn't work that way!

Changing tack slightly:

Thank you to Paul and Artemis for words of support! smile

Paul: I hear what you are saying about 'no such thing as a runner up', and, giving all the reading that I've been doing over the last few weeks, I do appreciate that Kerth competition is very stiff. The fact remains, I've never yet mananged to win a Kerth, and that year on year 'failure' does sap at my morale! I try not to let it, but it happens. I wonder how many other people in a similar position feel the same way. (Sorry for the whinge, guys.)

Artemis: thank you for saying that you liked EMII's A Plot. I needed to hear that. Believe me, I did. smile

Chris