Yeah, I think I'm with Yvonne on this one. I'm not sure what the inclusion or absence of an A-plot has to do with a story being considered a Drama.

IMHO, if a story was written in which Lois contracted a terminal disease and Clark was taking care of her while Bernie Klein struggled (off stage) to find a cure, I'd consider this both a Drama and a Relationship story. As far as I can see, it doesn't have an A-plot, especially if the cure-finding is kept off scene. But it would be what I would consider a highly dramatic premise.

I suppose it comes down to how we define A-plot. It was always my understanding that in this fandom, A-plot was defined as any action external to the central relationship on which the story hangs. Things involving criminals, the Daily Planet, investigations, etc. Some sort of action or activity that is not centered on the interaction between two characters (usually Lois and Clark). The A-plot might drive interaction, but it does not evolve from it, at least not initially. A story doesn't have to include an A-plot or it could be almost 100% A-plot.

Again IMHO, it's not the inclusion of A-plot that makes something a drama. You could have an A-plot (the Prankster breaks out of jail) that can be used to write a very funny story (not a drama) or a very intense, angsty dramatic story. And the reverse is true. You could have a story in which Lois and Clark are sitting in Lois's living room talking, no A-plot whatsoever, and it could be very funny (not a drama) or very intense, angsty and dramatic. Nothing exiting happening per se, but still a drama based on the tone and subject of their conversation.

Same thing applies to the relationship category. It was my understanding that a relationship story simply has to contain a relationship, and it can be a funny story or a dramatic story. Too, it could contain an A-plot or not. As long as it contains a substantial focus on a relationship, it qualifies.

It's not what's in the story, it's the tone of the story that makes it a drama. And it's not the tone of the story that makes it a relationship story but rather the content. At least, that's what I'd interpreted the Drama and Relationship categories to mean. There is significant crossover between the two - they are not mutually exclusive.

I can understand the confusion. I suggest for next year that there be a split in the Drama category - Drama/A-Plot and Drama/Relationship if people feel strongly about there needing to be an A-plot in the story in order for it to be eligible for the Best Dramatic category.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah