Lynn, I'm trying very hard to avoid any debate on the meaning of the English word "drama". All I'm interested in is the definition of the Kerth Drama category. I firmly believe that the two concepts are poles apart.

In respect of the Kerth category: no, I don't believe that an A-plot is absolutely necessary for the Drama category, because the definition on the Kerths page no longer says it is:
will generally, though not always, contain a significant A-plot
However, I do also believe that it makes sense to have a Kerth category for stories which have fully-fledged A-plots and another for stories which are heavy on the B-plot side. Whether they're called "Best Drama" and "Best Relationship", "Best A-plot" and "Best B-plot", "Best Drama: A-plot Driven" and "Best Drama: Relationship Driven", or "Best Plugh" and "Best Xyzzy" is a matter of near-complete indifference to me... except that I kinda wish the annual arguments about what to call the damn things could be sorted out sometime before the heat death of the universe. laugh

Mere (not holding her breath wink )

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge